This position reports to the Accounting Supervisor and does not supervise any other positions.
This position is responsible for general accounting matters for Massachusetts Property Insurance Underwriting Association and/or Rhode Island Joint Reinsurance Association (MPIUA/RIJRA). This position will also assist in testing of system enhancements and in development and training of the financial department staff.
This position requires an advanced understanding of accounting procedures and financial statement presentation. Statutory Accounting experience preferred. Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, the ability to work independently, a high regard for detail, and excellent analytical skills. Requires proficiency in the operation of a computer and Microsoft Office applications, including Excel and Word as well as highly proficient in financial applications and complex spreadsheet work. A Bachelor’s Degree with an Accounting background is required. Minimum of 4 years related experience preferred. Ability to maintain confidentiality is essential.
- Responsible for daily banking transactions, including identification and verification of daily deposits/disbursements, and related journal entries
- Processing of the daily cleared checks file and verification of proper endorsement of claims disbursement checks
- Preparation of monthly general ledger closing and reconciliations for RIJRA
- Preparation of quarterly and annual financial statements for RIJRA
- Preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual audit schedules and reconciliations for RIJRA
- Preparation of quarterly and semi-annual Property Insurance Plans Service Office (PIPSO) reports for RIJRA
- Development of Percentages of Participation of Member companies and calculation of Member company assessments/distributions for RIJRA
- Preparation of Federal and State tax returns for RIJRA
- Preparation of NAIC Annual Statement for RIJRA
- Preparation of 1099 filing for RIJRA
- Analysis and review of liabilities and expenses including reserve adequacy and expense distributions for RIJRA
- Management and filing of records for Escheat Liabilities with the State’s Abandoned Property Division for RIJRA
- Identify MPIUA/RIJRA commission receivables over 90 days, prepare and issue letter to collect payment, and manage producers’ accounts
- Preparation of management fees schedules
- Maintenance of schedules for Fixed Assets and Depreciation (including journal entries)
- Maintenance of Prepaid Assets and schedules (including journal entries if needed)
- Maintaining and processing bank affidavits
- Maintenance and remittance of levy notices
- All other duties and projects as assigned.
We offer an excellent benefits package, a matching 401(k) program, and we are conveniently located in Government Center.