Commercial Auto Underwriter I - DFW area
As an Commercial Auto Underwriter I you will be responsible for ensuring a profitable book of business by appropriately evaluating the acceptability of risks within delegated authority levels.
- You will partner with agents to manage a book of commercial business and build strong working relationships.
- This position is required to demonstrate decision-making with some supervision, recommending quality exceptions where appropriate to maximize profitability and meet business plans. Supports marketing activities to agents and actively participates in the agency management process.
- You will serve as a mentor providing technical support, training, and problem solving for other underwriters on an ongoing basis.
- A key duty for the Underwriter I is to be responsible for working with and protecting confidential and proprietary customer and Company information.
- You will seek to grow as a continuous improvement practitioner by relentlessly reflecting, seeking out waste and eliminating it while simultaneously improving the customer's experience.
- Analyzes commercial lines accounts to make decisions based on individual risk characteristics, exposure analysis, hazard recognition and control. Utilizes underwriting guidelines and Company best practices to ensure compliance with state regulations. Within delegated authority levels and continuous process improvement work principles, accepts, rejects or modifies new and/or renewal business to ensure a profitable book of business primarily in Commercial Auto.
- Prices business according to Company underwriting and pricing guidelines. Assists less experienced underwriters in the handling of high hazard or more complex accounts. Ability to use creativity and underwriting knowledge to write risks and retain business.
- Partners with Marketing Manager to support marketing activities by developing ongoing relationships with agents to discuss market appetite, quality and profitability of submissions, service standards, and underwriting and/or product changes. Communicates with agents on underwriting issues including, but not limited to, decisions on cancellations, declinations, exposure concerns, and survey results.
- Partners with Marketing Manager to identify issues or patterns and works to resolve or improve them; participates in agency planning and review processes; and may identify sales and marketing opportunities.
- Travels, with or without Marketing Manager, to assigned agent locations to develop agency partnerships.
- Trains and educates agency staff on Company products, services, processes, and underwriting philosophy.
- Trains, coaches, and serves as a technical resource to other underwriters and associate underwriters. Provides mentorship that encourages individuals and the team to improve and accelerate performance.
- Promotes the Company's products and services by actively seeking opportunities to speak to agent or insurance-related groups, and by networking within the insurance community to stay abreast of changes within the industry.
- Actively participates in problem solving activities to define problems, assess current state root causes, design and test solutions, implement solutions, and sustain and continuously improve to permanently eliminate problems.
- Actively participates in continuous improvement by fully engaging in meetings, generating suggestions, following appropriate procedures and continuous process improvement work principles, participating in problem solving activities, and utilizing continuous improvement tools to support the work of the team.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree preferred.
- One or more years of commercial lines underwriting experience, commercial auto preferred.
- CPCU or professional insurance designation preferred.
- Comprehensive knowledge of commercial lines products and contract knowledge including regulatory and policy differences among applicable states.
- Demonstrated depth in negotiation, analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Strong computer skills and ability to work with multi-faceted systems.
- Ability to effectively and independently manage complex workload while exhibiting very sound judgment.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with agents and other departments and must also exemplify superior teamwork.
- Willingness to embrace the core values of Qeo: Integrity, Accountability, Responsibility & Empowerment, Culture of Continuous Improvement, Teamwork Based on Trust, Respect & Communication, Uncompromised Service, Fiscal Responsibility, and Recognition of Employee Excellence.
Qeo Group does not accept unsolicited resumes from search firms or employment agencies. Any unsolicited resume will become the property of Qeo Group, LLC and its client.
It is the policy of our client, as an equal opportunity employer, to attract and retain the best qualified individuals available, without regard to race/ethnicity, color, religion, genetic information, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, disability or veteran status.