Claims Management Specialist - North New Jersey
Manage the company’s claims relationship with assigned independent agents, as well as directly handle the field adjusting of commercial and personal multi-line claims (property, general liability and auto liability) generated by an assigned group of agents. Responsibilities include the completion of investigation, and the determination of coverage, liability, damages, subrogation, and settlements within limit of assigned authority levels. Assigned territory may cover a large geographic area.
This position is open to northern New Jersey and surrounding areas.
- Receive claim assignments from assigned agents, verify applicability of coverage.
- Determine appropriate methods and extent of needed investigation for all assigned claims and conduct investigation primarily through personal visits and also by phone, obtaining medical reports, appraisals, witness and claimant statements/interviews, scene inspections, or other necessary fact-finding methods in order to establish proper value disposition.
- Ensure timely contact times, evaluations, reporting, payments, etc. as outlined in the Claims department service standards.
- Ensure proper file documentation and reporting of information secured as result of claim activity. Ensure rationale for settlement that is consistent with company procedures, reporting standards and guidelines, and may also be responsible for submission of claims forms and reports as required by outside agencies.
- Evaluate and adjust claims within limit of assigned authority level. Consult with Claim Manager/Supervisor.
- Determine extent of damages, coordinate and establish repair/damage figures. Enter into final settlement negotiations up to a limit of assigned authority levels and participate in litigation process in conjunction with defense counsel when necessary.
- Arrange medical examinations, contractor estimates, or other specialist’s appointments when necessary.
- Assess recovery potential. Develop information necessary to successfully pursue recovery. Establish and maintain effective working relationships with corporate claims, SIU, underwriting, and other corporate personnel to assist in the timely and efficient settlement of assigned claims.
- Act as liaison with attorneys, public adjusters, underwriting department, rehabilitation facilities, investigators or other service vendor as necessary to manage claim including attending trials, arbitration, ADR, conducting face-to-face negotiation.
- Assist with monitoring quality of services rendered by appraisers, law firms, structured settlement vendors, rehabilitation vendors, etc. and make recommendations to manager/supervisor.
- Car travel represents approximately 25%+ of employee’s time
- College degree preferred or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years experience in related claims handling, preferably including field adjusting experience.
- CPCU designation/course work, Senior Claims Law course work, or other industry training/designations preferred
- Excellent PC skills;
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills
- Superior verbal and written communication skills;
- Strong time management and organizational skills;
- Self-starter with ability to work independently;
- Ability to travel and work varying shifts
- Ability to prepare own damage estimates.
- Ensure positive and effective relationships with all assigned agents
- Must have valid state-issued driver’s license in good standing and be able to drive an automobile.
- Must be able to drive an automobile to travel within territory.