Underwriting Department Manager - Commercial P&C
We are a Property & Casualty Managing General Agency writing $100+ million in annual premium seeking a Commercial P&C Department Manager to oversee the underwriting process for South & Western’s Commercial Excess and Surplus Lines binding authority business in our Memphis, Tennessee office. Business is written across a 6 state foot print consisting of AR, LA, MS, OK, TN and TX.
- Assure adherence to established insurance carrier underwriting criteria. When such is absent, must be able to demonstrate sound underwriting judgement.
- Monitor workflows and adjust accordingly to assure service standards are met. Maintain regular reporting on service standards to the Process Manager.
- Coordinate company and producer office visits related to the Commercial E&S lines of business.
- Grow the department premium volume to a mutually agreed upon budget goal.
- Manage staff of six and actively underwrite submissions.
Underwriting: Review staff underwriting authority regularly and establish a referral process to review all risks that are outside the normal scope of business prior to submission to company underwriters.
Workflows: Monitor all workflows daily. Provide a specific detailed report of any “Bottle Necks” to the Process Manager. Assure all established workflows are followed and audited prior to any staffing changes. Workflow Audits will be done in conjunction with the Process Manager. Service Standard Reports are to be submitted monthly to the Process Manager.
Visitors & Audits: Refer all company visitors and underwriting audit teams to South & Western Senior Management. Arrangements will be worked in unison.
- Assure phones are managed to maintain established service standards during all hours of operation.
- Work with internal Marketing Team to develop marketing campaigns and sales aids that promote Commercial product offering and value proposition.
- Work with external Sales Team to coordinate department underwriters with various Sales Territory Managers to conduct on-site agency visits.
PREFERRED SKILLS / QUALIFICATIONS:
- Bachelors Degree preferred, but not required.
- Minimum of 3 years Commercial P&C / Underwriting experience in Company, MGA or Agency environment.
- Self-directed, energetic and detail oriented with the ability to multi-task.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills.
- Aptitude for critical thinking and problem resolution.
- Friendly, upbeat personality with strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong managerial skills with the ability to motivate staff to a common goal.
- Inherent desire to embrace change and pursue continuous improvement.
- Team player with a collaborative attitude.
South & Western General Agency, Inc. has been in business since 1974 and is the Premier Managing General Agency in the mid-south and southwest. We offer employees a pleasant work environment that challenges those who are seeking further career advancement. Our business segments consist of Specialty Personal Lines, Farm & Ranch, Specialty Commercial P&C and Commercial Transportation and are only distributed through retail independent agents.
South & Western is an equal opportunity employer. We offer a competitive base salary and generous bonus program. Our benefits package is outstanding and includes health, dental, disability, 401k with match and paid time off.