Director Systems - International Operations
- Oversees assigned operations' short and long term IT planning to ensure that IT objectives and activities are aligned with agreed upon and approved business goals. Guides operations through planning process and documentation preparation to ensure that plans are coherent and accurately represent the projected financial and staffing commitments and planned activities for the upcoming period.
- Oversees the quarterly IT review process for assigned operations, reviewing results with operation CIO's prior to final submission of documents to ensure that financials and activities reported accurately represent the actual results of the quarter and ongoing plans.
- For significant projects, coordinates with business and IT project leadership to ensure appropriate adherence to proper system development lifecycle deliverables from business case development through implementation and post implementation planning.
- For assigned operations, reviews all business cases that meet criteria for Home Office review. Prior to approving business cases, follows the business case review process to ensure the value and viability of the project.
- Maintains frequent contact with the operations, through the CIO or other key staff, to ensure continued ongoing alignment with business and appropriate adaptations to changes in business, market or technology imperatives. Also ensures IT Organizational structure and talent are properly aligned to best service the business.
- Develops and ensures implementation of appropriate infrastructure or applications minimum standards. Ensures that special attention is paid to critical standards, such as security, data center and business processes that can significantly impact business operations. Oversees and or participants in attestation control reviews and IT security assessments as appropriate.
- With little or no supervision, conducts IT due diligence activities for proposed new acquisitions or start up companies for Liberty International.
- With little or no supervision, performs occasional short term projects for Liberty International or for an operation of the SBU. These may include but are not limited to assessments of an aspect of an operation's IT function or averting or managing a crisis.
- Managers assigned technical/professional contributors to ensure the completion of work in a timely and efficient manner.
- Position calls for extensive travel to International operations.
- Interfaces with Liberty Mutual IS Organization to leverage existing contracts and technology where appropriate
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in technical or business discipline or equivalent experience.
- Generally a minimum of 10-15 years related experience in applications and/or infrastructure development in a complex, multi-platform distributed environment with international experience a prerequisite.
- Thorough knowledge of all areas of information technology including architectural concepts, the systems development lifecycle, information management, portfolio management (production systems, release planning, change management), and infrastructure environments, tools and processes.
- Thorough knowledge of IT concepts, strategies and methodologies.
- In depth understanding of business operations, objectives and strategies including but not limited to insurance industry, financial services, global business and technology trends.
- Experienced in working with senior leaders in business and I/S uniting to develop IT strategies and plans. Thorough knowledge of project management life cycle, methodologies and support tools (e.g., MS Project, Visio, etc.).
- Thorough knowledge of project management concepts, practices and techniques (Project Management certification preferred).
- Ability to promote a team environment.
- Ability to operate independently.
- Ability to work in a matrixed environment.
- Strong negotiation and facilitation skills.
- Strong oral and written communication skills; presentation skills.
- Independence in constructively confronting others on challenging and difficult issues.
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
We're dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.