Technical Claims Specialist
The Technical Specialist will:
1) Investigate and evaluate coverage, liability, and damages on assigned claims, determine appropriate reserves and settlement values, and resolve claims on merits. Claims inventory complexity will range from complex high exposure claims and files in litigation.
2) Direct defense counsel on litigated files, as well as attend mediations and trials, as necessary.
3) Work independently with minimal direct supervision and resolve claims within designated monetary authority.
4) Present claims, if required, to senior management at quarterly Claims Advisory meeting and update these spreadsheets when needed. Prepare appropriate reinsurance reports and timely updates.
5) Participate in claim audits and other special projects as assigned. The Technical Specialist will demonstrate both commercial and personal lines expertise.
- Investigate and evaluate coverage, liability and damages on assigned claims and determine appropriate reserves and settlement value in accordance with standard practice guidelines including quality, cycle time and insured contact. Direct defense counsel toward most appropriate resolution. Manage legal expenses and other expenses.
- Deliver exceptional customer service through professional communication including telephone, email and written correspondence.
- Maintain a high level of technical expertise specific in the areas handled. Provide mentoring to claim representatives as needed.
- Attend mediation and trials as required.
- Prepare written reports on a timely basis for Claims Advisory and Reinsurance.
- Physical attendance at worksite is required.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- This is a full time position and hours can increase during times of increased volume and catastrophes. Flexible work schedule within hours of operation to service our customers. Must be able to work additional hours if needed or required.
- Between 10-20% travel is expected for attending mediations and trials when needed.
Required Education and Experience
- 620 License
- Bachelor’s Degree, equivalent experience, or industry designation equivalent such as AIC, CPCU, etc.
- 3-5 years Homeowners and Commercial claim handling experience .
Preferred Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 5 years of experience as a Technical Specialist.
- Other industry designations such as AIC, CPCU, Claims Law.