Broker - New England - Commercial Lines
This position will require: Excellent understanding of the competition; Exceptional product knowledge and the ability to propose specific program developments; Exertion of Underwriting Authority as it pertains to binding authority, credit levels and exceptions by mentoring the Underwriting Team. Collaborating with team members to achieve growth, profit, renewal retention, service and producer/client management goals for the organization.
- Within delegated authority levels and company guidelines, accepts, rejects or modifies new and renewal business for all commercial lines with little or no guidance to ensure a profitable commercial book of business.
- Prices business according to company underwriting and pricing guidelines and ensures standards for timeliness are met.
- Markets Company products through agent contacts to achieve company growth and profitability targets.
- Develops on-going relationships with agents, meets service standards established for new and renewal business, and keeps agent up-to-date with underwriting and/or product changes.
- Handles and manages complex books of business to maximize profitability and growth.
- Reviews loss activity (frequency, severity) for each agent in assigned territory.
- Considers mix of business, loss ratios by line, and fit of business with company guidelines. Identifies problems or potential problems, follows up with agent. Works with agent to correct problem.
- May change policy deductibles, increase premium, non-renew policies. May recommend constraints on business an agent may submit or recommend that an agent be suspended.
- Promotes public image of the Company by actively seeking out opportunities to speak to insurance related groups and by networking within the insurance community to keep abreast of changes in the industry.
- Train, coach and serve as technical resource to other underwriters and assistant underwriters.
- Achieve written premium and income goals set by management on a quarterly basis
- Comprehend and maintain underwriting manuals for all companies represented
- Travel as deemed necessary by the Supervisor, to both agencies & company conventions
- Comfortable discussing team goals and actively participating in achieving these goals
- Adhere to company-wide minimum service standards
- Knowledge of the independent agency system and economics - assess the capacity of market, territory and individual agencies to identify and act on growth opportunities.
- Develop and maintain effective relationships with business partners.
- Demonstrate accountability for the assigned territory by being innovative and identifying and implementing opportunities for improvement in results.
- Other duties as assigned
Education and Work Experience:
- 5 years of experience and :
- an RMI degree or CPCU, or RPLU, or CIW or CIC, or a graduate degree
- OR 7 years of experience in P&C Underwriting or related field
Knowledge Skills & Abilities:
- Strong customer service skills
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- Capacity to analyze information and mathematical aptitude
- Knowledge of all applicable rating systems
- Knowledge of all underwriting and rate/rule manuals
- Proficiency in on-line reference manuals
- Knowledge of underwriting principles
- Knowledge of policy forms
- Ability to recognize exposure to loss
- Must be innovative and creative
- Research skills, attention to detail, and coordination
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and make quick decisions and
- Ability to be flexible in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work very autonomously with little or no supervision.
- Is easily accessible to customers and maintains regular contact with agents.
- Computer experience a must, MS Word & Excel experience required
- Minimum 50wpm typing speed
- Team Player and mentor for UWII
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
- Excellent presentation skills to internal and external partners
- Interest in selling products and services based on customer needs
- Strong negotiation skills
- Exhibits a professional appearance when representing J&J on business travel
Typical Physical Demands:
- Requires the ability to sit or stand for long periods of time, occasional stooping, and reaching; May require lifting up to 25 pounds; requires normal range of vision and hearing with or without accommodations.