AmTrust Financial Services
AmTrust has an immediate need for a Senior Surety Claims Counsel. The Surety Claims Counsel is responsible for handling large sized surety bond claims, including but not limited to performance bond and payment bond claims, over a large range of venues and regulatory statutes as well as smaller commercial bond claims. Also, provides legal assistance and/or counsel to claims personnel with regard to claims negotiations and settlement resolutions and underwriting personnel regarding bond forms, contracts and general indemnity agreements.Responsibilities
- Investigates, analyzes, negotiates, and settles large sized surety bond claims as well as smaller commercial bond claims.
- Analyzes financial data and contractual obligations; makes reserve recommendations; determines an appropriate course of action and managing the case to successful resolution.
- Investigates, analyzes, negotiates and resolves large recovery disputes.
- Directs the claims and recovery efforts, both directly and through the assignment to outside consultants, accountants, financial advisors, construction engineers and legal counsel.
Claims duties may include: some or all of the following:
- investigating defaults and making recommendations in determining which strategy would be appropriate for Surety to implement;
- setting accurate reserves and recommending adjustments as warranted;
- implementing the default strategies;
- investigating difficult claim issues, including bid protests, payment surety claims, defective specifications, contract modifications, terminations, liens and fraud questions;
- and analyzing recovery prospects from indemnitors, principals, owners and third parties and then recommends and implements appropriate action and then pursues vigorously until close out
- Provides legal counsel to the department personnel, including claims examiners and branch underwriters.
- Performs legal research and analyzes legal questions in regards to claims resolution.
- Plans and coordinates litigation matters with outside counsel.
- Makes court appearances for case management or settlement, status conferences and trials. (this is potentially problematicperson can only make appearances in the state in which he/she is licensed and its also a gray area re ethics/conflicts)
- Analyzes, reviews, and drafts legal documents including settlement agreements, indemnity agreements, promissory notes, assignments, releases, construction contracts, and repayment agreements.
- Reviews and revises pleadings, discovery, and other documents filed with the court and generated by outside counsel.
- Responsible for obtaining security interests in property, foreclose, or secure collateral as required. Works with underwriting branches, principals, and finance department to coordinate and approve release of collateral as necessary.
- Develops and conducts seminars for producers, in-house presentations and other settings as needed.
- May have supervisory responsibilities or assists in training others as assigned or delegated by the Senior Vice President of Claims.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned or delegated by the Senior Vice President of Claims.
- Perform multi-tasks under pressure
- Adhere to strict time deadlines and regulatory statutes and other legal requirements.
- Analyze complex and diverse information.
- Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner
- Listens to others an solves conflicts
- Speak clearly and persuasively
- Looks for ways to improve results
- Works within approved company plans and policies
- Requires an active law degree from a ABA accredited law school
- Must have 6-10 years of legal experience, particularly in construction and surety law
- Must have experience in surety claims and law
- Transactional and litigation experience would be desirable.
- Must be detail oriented, organized and posse strong legal, analytical and negotiation skills
- Ability to read and comprehend written or oral instructions, correspondence and memos.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions.
- Knowledge of word processing software; spreadsheet software, project or contact management systems with experience in using Excel, Word, Outlook and other Windows software
- Requires a thorough working knowledge and understanding of underwriting practices, management policies and procedures and budgets.
What We Offer:
AmTrust Financial Services offers a great work environment, competitive compensation package and excellent carrier advancement opportunities. Our benefits include: Medical and Dental Plans, Life Insurance, Health Care Flexible Spending, Dependent Care, 401k Savings Plans, and Paid Time Off.
AmTrust Financial Services, Inc. was founded in 1998 to provide property and casualty insurance to small businesses. Through acquisitions and organic growth, AmTrust Financial Services has since grown to become a multinational property and casualty insurer specializing in coverage for small to mid-sized businesses. Our financial stability is based upon a philosophy of niche diversity with a focus on low-hazard risk.
Since its inception, AmTrust has crafted a balanced portfolio of insurance products including:
- Multiline Small Business Insurance
- Warranty and Specialty Risk Insurance
- Specialty Program Business Insurance
In November 2006, the company became publicly traded on the NASDAQ Global Market under the symbol AFSI. With extensive underwriting experience and a prestigious "A" (Excellent) Financial Size "XI" rating from A.M. Best, AmTrust has earned a reputation as an innovative, technology driven provider of insurance products. Our commitment to excellence is the common thread connecting each of our businesses.