Director, Catastrophe Research & Development
Advance your career at Liberty Mutual Insurance- A Fortune 100 Company!
The Director, Catastrophe Research and Development is responsible for enhancing Libertys risk assessment of catastrophe exposed business, both in the US and abroad. Specific areas of focus include interpretation and use of third-party catastrophe models, development of techniques to assess risk in non-modeled and poorly modeled perils and regions, and identification and assessment of potential black swan scenarios to which Liberty is exposed.
The Director is responsible for developing and implementing a Research Agenda, with short-term and long-term objectives focused on multiple initiatives:
- Conduct independent research and review of peril models for key region and perils, aimed towards developing the companys view of risk. Document and support research findings to inform exposure management decisions. This includes detailed evaluation of new model releases including recommendations on use per company best practices and impact on company view of risk.
- Assess the quality and robustness of available tools for secondary perils and regions. Recommend model adjustments and/or alternative techniques for assessing risk.
- Develop tools for exposure analysis and model evaluation including the identification and communication of potential large-loss scenarios worldwide, with particular focus on regions and perils currently not captured by third party models.
- Ongoing support and enhancement of process for post-event model evaluation and recommended adjustments to the company view.
- Communicate with business unit cat managers and other stakeholders to identify areas where the R&D team can collaborate and provide expertise in support of strategic initiatives related to risk evaluation including pricing, risk selection and portfolio management. Maintain open dialogue to ensure support and adoption of best practices and company view of risk.
- Engage claims and underwriting staff within the group, as needed, to obtain data in support of research activities.
- Support Operations team through customized tools for analysis and reporting.
- Serve as internal resource on catastrophe related initiatives. Participate on vendor model review and broker presentations, provide recommendations to inform licensing and other decision making activities.
- Manage and guide team of catastrophe research analysts.
- Minimum of seven years of experience within Insurance/Reinsurance or Catastrophe Modeling industries
- Deep knowledge and actual usage and application of Catastrophe Models (preferably with AIR and/or RMS)
- Demonstrated analytical skills (preferred background in Catastrophe Modeling, Actuarial, Engineering, or Statistical Modeling)
- Strong strategic/integrative thinking, financial acumen, business judgment and the ability to manage in the absence of complete information
- Strong communication and presentation skills
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, its our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
Were dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.
Job: Finance & Accounting
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (16 years)