Assistant Actuary, Construction & Energy Underwriting Support - National Insurance
National Insurance Pricing is seeking an Assistant Actuary who will be responsible for supporting the Construction and Energy Underwriting teams within National Insurance Specialty (NIS). As an Assistant Actuary on the Construction and Energy team, you will support the preeminent Specialty segments in National Insurance by enhancing pricing decisions and influencing strategy. This position will be focused on providing high quality analyses and effectively communicating key outcomes to support profit, growth, and operational objectives for Construction and Energy. As such, the successful candidate will possess strong analytical and communication skills, as well as a demonstrated ability to execute thoroughly in a collaborative environment. This position is not limited to a particular location, however, the current team is located in Boston. The position will report to Brent Guerard, FCAS and Actuary, Construction and Energy.
- Build tools that enhance pricing and influence underwriting strategy.
- Perform complex actuarial analyses to assist business decision making and strategy development.
- Work with underwriting to provide account level support such as loss forecasts, security calculations, rate change calculations, loss portfolio transfers, buyouts, captives, profitability analyses, pricing model support, etc.
- Provide clear and concise communication of technical actuarial work to underwriters, managers, and senior leadership within National Insurance Specialty.
- Provide training to underwriters on pricing models, profitability metrics, and other actuarial topics as needed.
- Collaborate with Line Pricing teams on tools used by Underwriting.
- Minimum 35 years relevant experience required.
- Passing grades on a minimum of 7 Casualty Actuarial Exams is required (356 exam credits); ACAS preferred.
- Commitment to achieving Fellowship in the Casualty Actuarial Society (FCAS).
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Strong data manipulation skills including the ability to query, consolidate, and test for reasonability needed.
- Sound knowledge of actuarial techniques and standards, as well as other business operations including financial, underwriting, legal, statistics, claims, sales, etc.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills. Ability to deliver effective training and presentations to senior management and other groups.
- Desire to work in a fast paced and dynamic environment, responding to business demands and a changing marketplace.
- Ability to establish and build effective relationships within and outside the organization desired.
- Ability to motivate and mentor junior colleagues.
- Strong MS Office Excel skills required. SAS skills preferred; Ability to build complex models.
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, its our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
Were dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (16 years)
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time