Underwrite new and renewal general liability, property and package accounts profitably and in accordance with established company guidelines.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Production and Underwriting
- The Underwriter has responsibility for new and renewal premium in the region of assigned group of General Agents.
- The Underwriter is responsible for underwriting and pricing new and referred renewal accounts in accordance with Atlantic Casualty Insurance Company's underwriting standards, personal underwriting authority level, and Atlantic Casualty Insurance Company's General Agency Agreements (GAA).
- Assist CRO and Underwriting Supervisor on special projects as requested.
- Assist in the coverage or classification reviews or workflow changes as requested.
- Other functions may be assigned as business conditions change.
- The Underwriter is responsible for several General Agents is the point of contact for that agency and its personnel for renewal business.
- The Underwriter is responsible for monitoring production; hit ratios, renewal retention ratios and other production and quality measures.
- Possesses a working knowledge of all of Atlantic Casualty Insurance Company's products and is able to perform website training.
- Gathers market data for new markets, products, and or segments and works with the Chief Risk Officer to identify new production opportunities and track competitor activity.
- Gathers and reports information through visit reports, team briefings and market updates for the Atlantic Casualty Insurance Company's underwriting personnel.
- Provides informal and formal underwriting training as required.
- Mentors less experienced Atlantic Casualty Insurance Company's underwriting personnel on work flow, processing and rating, market conditions, competitors, relationship management, etc.
- Meets all file documentation standards, complies with underwriting and authority level standards, and passes all audits (both internal and external).
- Responsible for conducting regular and periodic underwriting self-review.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of Atlantic Casualty Insurance Company's forms and endorsements, including various manuscript forms required on more complex accounts.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of, the requirements of the Atlantic Casualty Insurance Company's rating and underwriting methodology and Atlantic Casualty Insurance Company's reinsurance contracts.
- Works with the CRO to establish and attain General Agency Marketing Plans and assist in agency development.
- Consistently achieves targeted GA Market Plan.
- A 4-year college degree from an accredited institution is strongly desired, but not required, along with a minimum of 5 year E&S Company P&C underwriting or general agency P&C underwriting experience.
- Professional designations such as CPCU, ASLI, AU or CIC are preferred.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as underwriting manuals, emails, faxes and procedural manuals.
- Ability to write routine correspondence in the English language using correct grammar and spelling.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide. Skill and ability to use and operate a computer, fax machine, phone system and copier.
- Ability to type 40 WPM.
- Must have a working knowledge of general liability, property and package underwriting, and be familiar with endorsements, including pro-rata and short-rate computations.
- Working knowledge of most Microsoft programs such as Word and Excel.
- Excellent organization and communication skills, oral and written, are also a must.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of instructions in written or diagram form.
- Reasoning; dealing with problems involving complex variables in most situations.
- Candidate must possess and be able to apply logical thinking skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle controls and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Works primarily indoors.
Apply for Senior Underwriter
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly