Data Scientist - Global Specialty Actuarial Analytics
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Advance your career at Liberty Mutual - A Fortune 100 Company!
Liberty Mutual Global Specialty (GS) is seeking an Assistant Director in Data Science for the Strategic Model Development team within GS Actuarial Analytics. The GS Actuarial Analytics department is responsible for the development and improvement of advanced analytics to support Global Specialty lines of business. This Strategic Model Development team is responsible for the development of key predictive models for Global Specialty.
This position requires solid interpersonal skills and prior experience with predictive modeling. The candidate must also have strong analytical, critical thinking and problem solving skills, comfort with data manipulation, and the ability to work with project leaders across GS Analytics, IT, and other functional departments. Knowledge of insurance principles, especially underwriting and ratemaking concepts, is a plus. This position is posted for grades 16-18, depending on the qualifications of the candidate.
- Researches and develops data science solutions. Identifies and tests hypotheses, ensuring statistical significance, and builds predictive models for business application.
- Prepares data for modeling and other analysis and seeks out reference materials and experts to help interpret insurance data.
- Contributes to project planning and partners with stakeholders across GS organization to enhance transparency of our teams work in support of GS Analytics initiatives.
- Seeks out opportunities to improve process within large modeling projects.
- Present findings, share insights, and make recommendations that impact profitability, growth and/or customer satisfaction.
- Effectively communicate results in written, oral and presentation formats. Meet regularly with your customers.
- Regularly engages with the data science community and participates in cross-functional working groups. Actively participates in peer review and quality check processes.
- Researches and deploys Machine Learning (ML) techniques. Participates in the broader ML community to stay current with the latest techniques.
- Competencies typically acquired through a Ph.D. degree (in Applied Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics, or other quantitative field of study) and 0-1 year of relevant experience, a Masters degree (quantitative field of study) and 0-2 years of relevant experience.
- Broad understanding of core statistical and ML techniques with past experience analyzing data and building models in a statistical programming language (e.g., SAS, R, Python, etc.).
- Hands on experience with ETL tools, Hadoop, Spark is also a plus.
- Ability to quickly grasp new concepts and technologies and adapt to changes and demands in fast-paced, dynamic environment, including drawing conclusions and making decision from imperfect and disparate datasets.
- Excellent analytical, strategic, project management, decision-making and problem-solving skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, as well as proven ability to effectively present technical concepts to non-technical individuals within and outside the organization
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, its our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please click here.
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
Were dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Boston
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (16 years)
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time