- Career Level
- Not Specified
Under direct supervision, provides professional legal support service to attorneys in the form of basic legal research, drafting of legal and business communications and general file management. Assist attorneys, other paralegals and paraprofessional staff within the legal office in all phases of litigation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
- Prepare legal documents, including pleadings and motions along with exhibits thereto for service and filing
- Prepare affidavits or other documents, maintain document file and file pleadings with court clerk
- Gather and analyze research data, such as statutes, decisions, legal articles, codes and documents
- Investigate facts and law of cases to determine causes of action and prepare cases
- Gather documents and information from clients, insureds, third parties and opposing parties
- Assist with the collection, processing and review of discovery, including medical records
- Communicate with, research and obtain information and documents local, state and federal courts
- Prepare chronologies and witness lists
- Maintain and update client databases
- Coordinate and prepare documents for production including the creation of privilege logs and databases
- Assist attorneys in the preparation for depositions, including the preparation of witness files and maintain deposition and exhibit files and indexes
- Assist attorneys and coordinate the paper and e-filing of pleadings and court documents
- Call upon witnesses to testify at depositions, hearings and trial
- Handle general administrative case and document requests from opposing counsel and clients
- Keep and monitor legal volumes to ensure that law library is up-to-date
- Assume additional responsibilities as assigned
- Maintenance and oversight of computer databases and management of confidential records
Minimum Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED)
- Maintain appropriate licensing and educational requirements
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Ability to gather data, compile information and prepare reports, including pleadings and motions
- Ability to analyze and solve problems
- Must possess effective verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to establish working relationships with individuals at varying levels within the organization
- High degree of initiative, mature judgment, and discretion in handling confidential information
- Proficient in computerized legal research databases (Lexis and Westlaw)
- Knowledge of legal procedures and terminology
- Database and records management skills; experience using Legal Files database
- Experience with the court system and procedures
- Possess effective organizational, time management and multi-tasking skills
About National General Holdings:
National General Holdings Corp. is headquartered in New York City. National General traces its roots to 1939, has a financial strength rating of A (excellent) from A.M. Best, and provides personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, motorcycle, supplemental health, and other niche insurance products. We are a specialty personal lines insurance holding company. Through our subsidiaries, we provide a variety of insurance products, including personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, supplemental health, lender-placed and other niche insurance products.
National General is a fast paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial organization. Our team members live by and exemplify what we call the 4Es. At National General, we are Energized, Engaged, Empowered, and we Execute every day in order to provide an exceptional experience for our customers! We are passionate about our organization and the value that we add every day. A successful candidate with National General will embody the 4Es. Our team is poised to outperform the competition. We are National General Insurance and with us you can be extraordinary! Come join our team!
Companies and Partners
Direct General Auto & Life, Personal Express Insurance, Century-National Insurance, ABC Insurance Agencies, NatGen Preferred, NatGen Premier, Seattle Specialty, National General Lender Services, ARS, RAC Insurance Partners, Mountain Valley Indemnity, New Jersey Skylands, Adirondack Insurance Exchange, VelaPoint, Quotit, HealthCompare, AHCP, NHIC, Healthcare Solutions Team, North Star Marketing, Euro Accident.
In addition to a phenomenal career opportunity, National General Insurance offers an excellent benefits package including:
Medical, Dental, Vision benefits
Life and Short/Long Term Disability Insurance
401k w/ Company Match
Company Paid Holidays & Generous Time-off policy
Employee Discount Program
Career Advancement and Development Opportunities
On-site Healthcare Clinic (Winston-Salem and Cleveland offices)
On-site Fitness Center (Cleveland and Dallas offices)
Subsidized parking (Cleveland office)
National General Holdings Corp. is an Equal Opportunity (EO) employer Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of any characteristic protected by law. Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States, as it is not our practice to sponsor individuals for work visas.