Evaluate (select and price) and maintain (control) risk acceptability and profitability within the company’s underwriting guidelines and procedures for Middle Market commercial risks. Manage and maintain good agency-company relationships. Meet and maintain the profitability and production standards established.
Minimum of three years commercial lines underwriting experience, including but not limited to CGL, Property, Packages, BOP, Auto, Crime, IM, Umbrella and/or WC. Good organizational skills, ability to handle multiple tasks and effectively prioritize. Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain relationships with agents and other departments. Exemplify superior teamwork
- Gather appropriate information to profitably underwrite a variety of Middle Market commercial risks.
- Research, formulate and implement solutions for complex issues and accounts.
- Determine final coverages and pricing for commercial risks within assigned authority level.
- Review claims and loss information on individual risks. Use this information to identify and re-evaluate accounts and develop strategy for dealing with exposures and frequency issues.
- Take a lead role relative to Key Account review and recommendations.
- Take ownership of your underwriting territory through strong book management skills.
- Work to develop and maintain agency relationships with a focus on long-term profitability and growth.
- Work in collaboration with Loss Control partners to focus on controlling exposures and maintaining controls. Join Loss Control on visits with individual accounts.
- Maintain established quality and service standards.
- Establish strong working relationships with key producers.
- Mentor less experienced underwriters and serve as a resource for others within the department as needed.
- Successfully build, manage and execute a New Business Pipeline.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Keeps abreast of industry developments, particularly those which impact his or her area(s) of responsibility.
- Understands Berkley Mid-Atlantic’s business and the factors that affect its success.
- Communicates regularly and effectively.
- 3 years experience in the property/casualty insurance industry, including insurance workflow, procedural analysis, rating and processing.
- Personal computer skills, demonstrated interpersonal communication skills and decision making. Must be well organized.
- Well organized, efficient and able to work independently.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and efficiently prioritize.
- Ability to work with others in a cooperative manner.
Four-year college degree or equivalent combination of education and work experience.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
Possess AU, ARMS, CIC, CPCU, or other equivalent insurance designation