Risk Engineering Director
Direct and manage a risk engineering (loss control) team of 8-14 employees for the East and Midwest areas of the U.S. Collaborate with underwriting partners to drive profitability, sales and growth objectives by ensuring delivery of efficient and effective risk services for customers and agents through risk evaluation and value added risk improvement services.
- Develops, executes and monitors the geographic area and / or unit’s risk engineering plans and strategies to achieve profit, sales and growth objectives. Provides sales / marketing support to all user groups in the solicitation of agents and to prospective / or existing clients.
- Manages and directs a risk engineering team by monitoring individual and team performance and providing technical expertise to staff to ensure adherence to company policies, procedures and standards.
- Provides oversight for delivery of efficient and effective risk engineering services through timely and quality risk evaluations and consultative risk improvement to ensure overall profitability and account retention. Works with underwriting partners to ensure high level of services are delivered in alignment with business strategy.
- Manages and provides for the professional development of team members through staff training programs, encouraging the attainment of a professional industry designation and the participation in professional organizations.
- Continues to increase knowledge / expertise of the risk engineering discipline and the development of management skills through internal and external training / educational programs.
- Works with VP of Risk Engineering and with other Risk Engineering field and technical Directors to develop and implement tactical and strategic initiatives
- Manages quality assurance through regular audits and field reviews
- Performs other duties as assigned by departmental VP.
Minimum Experience / Education:
- BA/BS in Occupational Safety and Health, Engineering, Science, Management/Business or equivalent experience with a professional industry designation (e.g., CSP, ALCM, CFPS, ARM, etc.)
- Minimum 8 - 12 years of experience in P&C insurance, including 1 - 2 years in a specialty service (i.e. large property, product liability, industrial hygiene/ergonomics, personal insurance) or proven leadership ability demonstrated while functioning in either a supervisory / managerial role.
- Must have a valid driver's license and acceptable record. Some overnight travel may be required.
Communication and Collaboration Skills:
- Written: Excellent skills to compose and write reports, proposals, business correspondence, technical bulletins and procedure manuals in a clear and concise manner.
- Oral: Excellent skills to extemporaneously explain complex information in an easily understandable manner to insured’s, agents, company staff. Listens to customers and gets clarifications. Lead and manage team of 6-14 remote direct reports.
- Ability to effectively communication with tact, diplomacy and courtesy across multiple levels of business partners, clients and agents
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Excellent technical knowledge of industry trends, developments, current standards and regulations in multiple areas.
- Excellent understanding of loss control services of highly complex accounts.
- Excellent analytical, organizational, interpersonal and decision making skills.
- Strong project management skills.
State Auto Values:
- Must be willing to work by the "values" established by State Auto.