BUILD YOUR FUTURE...WHILE PROTECTING THEIRS.
* You will be challenged. Rewarded. And valued for your unique experience, background and perspective.
Join a team where hard work pays off and original thinking is celebrated. As you build your future at Westfield Insurance, you will quickly learn that protecting our customer’s future by delivering on our promise to help restore lives and rebuild businesses when the unexpected happens is at the heart of what we do. Building relationships and caring about people has been part of our culture since 1848. Be a part of a team that recognizes and appreciates those who take initiative, know how to elevate an idea and can innovate and seek opportunity in a changing world.
Middle Market Underwriter 3 Job Summary
The Middle Market Underwriter 3 represents the company among a defined territory of agencies, with responsibility for the management and servicing of a profitable rene wal book of Middle Market Commercial Lines business utilizing the highest level of technical underwriting ability. Leads the monthly renewal strategy meeting, acts as an Account Steward for the customer and as a key point of contact for the agency, maintaining and implementing appropriate service strategies to deliver our customer service commitment to the customer. Makes responsible decisions regarding risk acceptability and pricing. Provides agency service and maintains intra-company communications. Advises Region Leader and Middle Market Field Manager of agency situations and market trends that may need attention. Within their respective team, the Middle Market Underwriter 3 is regarded as a peer leader, subject matter expert, and mentor for technical and sales skills, and may serve as direct leader of Middle Market Underwriting Assistant.
Essential Functions (primary functions and/or reasons the job exists in order of importance)
1. Manages a book of Mid dle Market business for assigned agencies and is responsible for overall profit and growth of the book. Utilizes all present and future underwriting tools and resources.
2. Reviews and underwrites primarily renewal business for Middle Market Commercial Lines accounts (large and/or complex Commercial Lines accounts with package premium of $25,000 and above). Evaluates exposures to loss, determines pricing, and determines acceptability of risk in accordance with company guidelines and the limits of authority established for them. Documents details of underwriting decisions, while maintaining all supporting information, records, and data in accordance with audit standards.
3. Plays key role in planning and facilitating Monthly Renewal Strategy Meetings. Fosters discussion, helps apply best practice and past precedent, while encouraging participation and learning.
4. Delivers quotes, terms and conditions, and Premium Value Statement (including info rmation surfaced at the monthly renewal meeting) to the agent. Have ongoing negotiations with the agent until the renewal order is received and then sends the renewal to be processed. Whenever possible, for key customers, delivers the renewal to the policyholder along with the agent.
5. Where indicated, is responsible for Account Stewardship of assigned policies. Serves as key contact for the agency and the customer. Services the policy throughout the year, underwrites endorsements, and keeps up with any changes that occur. Coordinates services provided to the customer, and makes sure that we are living up to our commitment to the customer to improve retention.
Desired Qualifications/Experience/Certification/Education (in order of importance)
1. Five or more years of P&C commercial lines underwriting experience.
2. Must have a demonstrated knowledge of underwriting acumen, profitable results, territory management skills, and pr icing acumen.
3. Experience providing peer coaching and training.
4. Possesses advanced underwriting technical knowledge.
5. Demonstrated ability to manage a larger than average renewal book compared to other Middle Market Underwriters.
6. Proven ability to use experience and independent judgment to complete file documentation including pricing rationale.
7. Proven ability to use experience and independent judgment to adjust quotes and endorsements to new or renewal policies based on the assigned underwriting authority.
8. Demonstrates strong negotiation and sales management skills.
9. Demonstrates strong customer service, organizational, and analytical skills.
10. Strong verbal, written, and interpersonal skills, resulting in the ability to interact with all employee levels in the organization and with customers.
11. Effective understanding and application of change management skills/tactics.
12. Reinsurance placement experience.
13. A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited university/college or commensurate experience.
14. Possesses a CPCU, CIC, CRM, or AU designation OR in the process of attaining one of these designations.
15. A valid driver’s license that conforms to company standards.
Physical Requirements (specific to the role)
* The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Ability to work effectively in an office environment for 40+ hours per week (including sitting, standing and working on a computer for extended periods of time).
* Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work environment utilizing various technologies such as: telephone, computer, web, voice, teleconferencing, e-mail, etc.
* Ability to travel as required.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed in this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, responsibilities, knowledge, etc. These may be subject to change and additional functions may be assigned as needed by management.
Westfield offers a Total Rewards program that focuses on compensation, benefits and wellness, and includes perks like 401(k), pension plan, annual incentive, education reimbursement, flex-time, onsite fitness center and casual dress. Work-life balance, recognition, and learning and career development are all part of a rewarding career with Westfield Insurance.
To learn more about Westfield and the opportunities available, please visit us at www.westfieldinsurance.com
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.
Salary Range: US$77758.0 - US$101085.0 per year