Underwrites applications with guidelines set for the issuance of policies on a standard or substandard basis. Determines whether to accept, modify or decline a risk through the evaluation of information pertinent to the decision. Analyzes data to determine benefits and rates. Has contact with others to gather information on which to base and defend underwriting decisions. Depending on area may have the following responsibilities: contact with Department of Insurance Personnel, create or review rating materials for accuracy, reply to Department of insurance complaints and Market conduct requests, communicate program changes to clients via bulletins, and/or review and recommend policy language changes.
- Evaluates more complex situations that potentially involve higher risk.
- Monitors trends and identifies the need for new or revised underwriting policies, procedures, and practices.
- Provides guidance and assistance to less experience underwriters.
- Makes contact with client or customer to resolve questions or issues that remain.
- Engages in basic quality assurance activities.
- Works under minimal supervision.
- May periodically assist in orienting, training, assigning and checking the work of lower level employees.
- Distribute bulletins following the quality standards to internal and external customers for compliance or rate and form changes.
- Monitor tropical and catastrophic activity and issue moratoriums on areas that are at risk.
- Respond to the Department of Insurance complaints timely and accurately.
- Develop underwriting guidelines that are clear, concise, and which complies with state and federal laws as well as achieving company desired results.
- 3-4 years of related experience in the function or similar activity outside the organization.
- Knowledgeable in all the duties of the Underwriter II position, or similar positions.
- Is completely familiar with computer system.
- High level of technical expertise and in-depth knowledge in assigned lines of business.